June 17 2021
Transforming your daily routine with an organised and efficient clothes storage system is easier than you think. Not only will it save you time and effort every morning, but it will also extend the life of your clothes: no more wrinkles, damage, or lost items in the chaos of your closet.
Imagine never having to dig through a messy closet again, desperately searching for that perfect dress or pair of jeans. With a well-planned clothes storage system, you can transform your wardrobe into a relaxing and organised space, setting the stage for a stress-free day.
If you are heading off travelling or decluttering your home and plan to move some of your clothing into a storage unit for a long period of time, then there are a few things you should do first. Whether switching between seasons, storing clothes long-term, or simply decluttering your closet, our blog has practical tips to help you preserve the quality of your garments and create a well-organised closet, and determine whether you need a storage unit for seasonal items or just an extra wardrobe space for non-frequent wear.
The Common Challenges with Clothes Storage
Before we dive into the various clothes storage ideas and solutions, let’s talk about some of the common challenges many people face when organising their wardrobe. Limited space is often a significant obstacle, especially in small bedrooms with small or non-existent closets. Adding new clothes over time can also quickly lead to a cluttered and chaotic closet, making it difficult to find what you need.
Another challenge is the need for proper storage solutions. Without the right tools and systems in place, it’s easy for your clothes to become disorganised and vulnerable to damage. Hangers may be mismatched, and shelves may be overcrowded and overflowing. These issues make it harder to find and store your clothes and can result in wrinkles, creases, and even permanent damage to your garments.
Clothes Storage Ideas for Small Bedrooms
Having a well-organised and efficient clothes storage system can transform how you start your day. There are plenty of storage solutions to maximise your available space.
- Consider investing in a standalone wardrobe that suits your style and space requirements, and install a stylish clothing rack or freestanding cabinet that will provide ample storage and enhance your decor. Look for options with adjustable shelves or hanging rods to accommodate different types of clothing.
- Utilise the often-forgotten space under your bed by investing in specifically designed storage containers or bags.
- Keep seasonal clothing or items you don’t frequently wear neatly stored away, freeing your closet from clutter.
Declutter, Donate and Simplify Your Closet
Creating a functional and organised closet starts with decluttering and purging. Empty your closet and evaluate each item individually. Ask yourself if it still fits, brings you joy, and is in good condition. Be honest and let go of anything that no longer serves you.
Instead of holding onto clothes that don’t align with your style or lifestyle, consider donating or selling them. There are many online platforms like Vinted or local charities that accept donations. Not only will you free up space in your closet, but someone else can also enjoy and benefit from your unused clothing.
To prevent future clutter, embrace the ‘one in, one out’ rule. Whenever you buy a new clothing item, commit to removing an old one from your wardrobe. This way, you’ll maintain a manageable and carefully curated collection, preventing your closet from becoming overwhelmed and chaotic.
Make the Most of Your Bedroom Space
One genius storage solution is investing in furniture with hidden compartments. Consider a bed frame with drawers underneath or a nightstand with multiple shelves or drawers.
Create a designated ‘getting ready‘ area in your bedroom. Install a wall-mounted mirror with secret storage for jewellery and makeup. Add a small dresser or vanity nearby for frequently used items. This helps you stay organised and creates a dedicated space for your morning routine.
Choosing the Right Storage Solutions for Your Clothes
Choosing the right solutions that fit your needs is essential when storing your clothes.
- If you have delicate or formal garments, a closet with a built-in garment rack and adjustable shelves is a must to keep them safe.
- For those with a shoe addiction, use a shoe rack or organiser that hangs on the back of your closet door. This keeps your shoes organised and easily accessible without taking up valuable space.
- If you prefer a minimalist style, use sleek storage options like open shelves or clothing rails. Not only does it give your closet a modern and clean look, but it also helps maintain a clutter-free wardrobe.
- Consider using the vertical space in your closet. Install a double hanging rod to use the vertical height and double the storage capacity for your clothes, like shirts and skirts.
- Use cascading hangers for items like pants or skirts. These hangers allow you to hang multiple items on a single hanger, creating more room in your closet.
- You can also install hooks or pegs on the back of your closet door to hang bags, scarves, or belts.
- Use labelled storage bins or vacuum-sealed bags to keep items protected and easily identifiable.
- Vacuum bags are great, particularly for bulky items of clothing – however, keeping items such as wool and silk in plastic bags can damage them over time. Alternatively, you might want to use plastic boxes.
Pro Tip: Forget about hanging those knits and delicate fabrics. Instead, opt for a folding method that keeps them in shape and saves space.If you’re all about efficiency, try the Marie Kondo folding method. But if your technique works for you, go for it! The goal is to create organised stacks that are compact and tidy.
If you’re looking for more wardrobe organising inspiration, this blog post on mastering wardrobe organisation will motivate you.
Transforming your chaotic wardrobe into a tidy and efficient space is a game-changer with these practical tips and ideas. Make the most of your space, find the right storage solutions, and regularly declutter for a stress-free experience.
Find a storage unit close to home and you will be able to access your clothing almost as easily as if it were in your loft or spare room! We have a range of sizes available to suit all needs. Head on to our Size Estimator to determine what size of unit you would need, if you’re keen on a storage unit.
It’s time to conquer the chaos!