June 17 2021
Whether you’re looking to declutter, relocate or are moving house, a storage unit is a perfect option for keeping your belongings safe and secure. But, trying to understand what size storage unit you need can be tricky, and it’s hard to estimate how much space you’ll need before everything is packed into boxes.
Too big and your belongings will be rattling around inside, too small and there’s no chance you’ll be able to organise your unit or store everything you need to. It can be difficult to visualise your belongings in a unit, especially if you’re storing bulkier or more awkwardly shaped items. To help, we’ve created a guide to explain how much you can fit inside a storage unit and to help you decide what size storage unit is right for you.
So, what size storage do I need?
It’s often surprising just how much you can fit into a self-storage unit if you organise and pack items correctly. There are a few questions to ask yourself before you get started on choosing a unit size:
- Why do you need storage? Are you moving house? Relocating offices? Decluttering or going travelling? Why you need storage in the first place will probably give you a rough indicator of how much space you’ll need overall.
- What do you want to store? The items you’re placing into storage can impact how much space you need. Consider how the shape, size and fragility of your belongings will make a difference to how they’re packed, as you’ll need to factor this into your measurements. You’ll need to also choose the right packing materials and determine whether items are stackable or if they need additional walking space around them.
- How often will you need access? The size unit you need depends on how frequently you’ll need access to your items. If you’re planning on storing rarely used decorations or season-dependent tools or furniture you may only need once a year, then you’ll be able to closely pack together with your boxes. However, if you’ll be regularly accessing your storage unit, it might be worth investing in a larger size so you have more space to move around and sort out your belongings.
- What if I’m unsure as to what size storage unit I need? Often, the larger the storage unit, and the longer you stay, the less you’ll pay. If you’re worried about not having enough room, there is generally very little difference between storage unit costs and investing in a slightly larger space could give you more peace of mind. Also, self-storage is usually quite flexible, and most providers make it simple to scale up or down your unit size depending on your needs.
What size storage containers are available?
At Ready Steady Store, we offer a number of different self-storage unit sizes to cater for a variety of uses.
9 sq ft locker
The smallest unit available, a 9 sq ft locker is a similar size to an estate car boot and is ideal for storing a few boxes or electronic equipment. The perfect size for students, it’s a cheap and convenient way to keep your belongings safe during holidays or extended periods at home. Don’t forget to take a look at our ultimate guide to student storage for some great advice and guidance on making the most of self-storage.
What can I fit inside a 9 sq ft storage unit?
- Computer or laptop
- Suitcases or bags of clothes
- A few smaller boxes
- Smaller household appliances or electronics
What vehicle will I need to move into 9sq ft of storage space?
As our storage lockers are relatively small, you should be able to move in with a standard car or small transit van. Did you know that you can even get a cab or taxi to your self-storage unit? Moxy taxi drivers will be happy to help you move a few smaller items.
25 sq ft unit
Roughly the same size as a small garden shed or hallway closet, a 25 sq ft storage unit is handy for those looking to store a small number of boxes or miscellaneous items from around the house such as holiday decorations, seasonal clothing or gardening tools. If you’re looking to declutter and free up some space in your home, when packed correctly and utilising the height, you can normally store about 60 medium boxes within 25 sq ft of space, or a room’s worth of furniture and accessories.
If you’re an international student looking to store the contents of your halls of residence room over the holidays, this is the ideal storage unit for you.
What can I fit inside 25sq ft of storage space?
- Single mattress
- Holiday decorations
- Household appliances
- Boxes filled with clothes, home accessories or books
What vehicle will I need to move into 25sq ft of storage space?
Those moving into 25 sq ft of space are likely to have a few bulkier items, so you’ll need a small van, which you can hire.
50 sq ft unit
To store any larger pieces of furniture, you’ll need 50 sq ft or more of space. A 50 sq ft storage unit is equivalent in size to a large walk-in closet or half the size of a single-car garage and is generally big enough to store the contents of a studio flat or a small 1-bedroom. Perfect for opening up your home and creating some space or for storing items while you move house. It’s also ideal for small business owners looking for a place to store stock.
What can I fit inside 50sq ft of storage space?
- Double bed and mattress
- Chest of drawers
- Large TV
- Small sofa
- Dining table and chairs
What vehicle will I need to move into 50sq ft of storage space?
If you’re moving larger items of furniture, such as beds or drawers, you’ll need a transit van to move into a 50 sq ft storage unit.
75 sq ft unit
If you’re looking to store the contents of a 1 or 2 bedroom flat, you’ll need at least 75 sq foot of space to ensure you have enough room to store multiple items of furniture and general belongings.
What can I fit inside 75sq ft of storage space?
- 2 double mattresses
- 2 double bed frames
- Large appliances
What vehicle will I need to move into 75sq ft of storage space?
Not only will you need a transit van to move into this space, but you may have to make a few trips back and forth to fit everything in.
100 sq ft unit
100sq feet is equivalent to an average single-car garage and is ideal for those who are renovating their garage space, or looking for an area to store the contents of a 2 bedroom house. Similarly, if you’re a business owner moving from a small office, 100sq ft will give you enough space to store desks and computer equipment, and you can also use storage to store confidential documents safely.
What can I fit inside 100sq ft of storage space?
- 2 large bed frames
- 2 large mattresses
- Dining room table and chairs
- Dressing tables and dressers
What vehicle will I need to move into 100sq ft of storage space?
A larger van, such as a box truck or Luton van which provides additional storage space, will be required in order to fit your furniture and belongings in to move into a 100 sq ft storage container.
125 sq ft unit
For those moving from a 2-3 bedroom flat, 125 sq ft of storage will be more than enough space to store your furniture, clothing and belongings. Similarly, if you’re a business owner moving from a medium-sized office, you can use the space to store computers, desks and other equipment as well as tables
What can I fit inside 125sq ft of storage space?
- 2 double beds and mattresses
- A single bed and mattress
- Bulky furniture such as chest of drawers and wardrobes
- Dining table and chairs
- Office furniture and accessories
What vehicle will I need to move into 125sq ft of storage space?
As 125 sq ft is more than enough space to fit the contents of a larger home or office, you’ll need a vehicle that will fit your chunky furniture items and large appliances with ease. If you’re moving into this size of storage unit, you’ll need a 7.5 tonne lorry.
Still unsure as to the size storage unit you need? Our team is always happy to help, so get in touch now for more information or advice, or find your nearest store now to reserve your storage space online.