Frequently asked questions
We’re here to help
We are dedicated to providing the best customer service possible. We have compiled a list of our most frequently asked questions below, which we hope will answer any queries you may have about storing with us. If you can’t find an answer to your question on our website, our professional and friendly store team and customer service advisers are on hand to provide you with assistance.
Getting a Quote
How do I know how much space I need?
Not sure what size unit you need? Don’t worry we’re here to help!
Across all our stores we have over 40 different sizes of storage units, so it won’t be a problem finding the right sized unit for you.
All our storage units (except the 9 sq ft lockers) are 8 ft high, so if you can stack your things or turn furniture on its side, you may need less space than you think.
Our online size estimator can give you an idea of how the sizes differ and how much you can expect to fit in each unit.
Alternatively, you can speak to our customer service team. Explain to them what you’re planning to store and they’ll be able to give you the best idea of the size you’ll need.
Storage with us is very flexible, so if your needs change, you can switch to a bigger or a smaller unit as and when you want.
How much does storage cost?
Our prices start from as little as £5 a week. You only ever pay for the amount of space you need, so the smaller the unit the less you pay. Our online size estimator can give you an idea of how the sizes differ and how much you can expect to fit in each unit.
Get a quote from your local store to see how little your storage solution will cost you.
If you’re unsure and would like us to help, then get in touch and one of our storage advisors will be happy to help.
What is included in the price quoted?
The price we quote is for the rental of the storage unit and unlimited access to it between 8 am and 6 pm everyday.
We also give you a £10 voucher to spend on boxes and packing materials in store. You don’t have to store with us to use it and there’s no minimum spend.
Our quotes are valid for 7 days before they expire and prices vary according to availability.
Insurance and padlocks are not included in the quote price.
Reserving a Storage Unit
Why should I reserve a storage unit?
When you reserve a storage unit you guarantee your quoted rental offer and rate for up to 60 days.
As our quotes are only valid for 7 days before they expire, and prices vary according to availability, reserving your unit in advance is agreat way to know you’ll be getting the best offer when you’re ready to start storing.
Reserving a storage unit also guarantees that the space you need will be available when you’re ready to store. So, it’s perfect if you want to arrange your storage in advance.
How can I reserve?
Reserving a storage unit is simple. There are three ways to reserve:
- Online by getting a quote and then reserving
- On the phone by calling 0800 321 3211
- In store during our reception opening hours Monday to Saturday, 9 am to 5.30 pm (Please note, our store receptions are closed on Sundays and Bank Holidays)
How much does it cost to reserve?
It’s only £10 to reserve a storage unit and this amount is credited to your account when you store. We’ll also refund this £10 if you no longer need storage, so there’s no commitment.
Accepted payment methods for the reservation payment include:
- Online – Credit/debit card or Paypal
- On the phone – Credit/debit card
- In store – Cash or credit/debit card
What happens after I reserve?
Once you’ve reserved, you’ll need to set up a storage account to get access to the building and your unit. You can do this online using our Speedy Move-in form or you can come into the store during our Reception opening hours (Monday to Saturday, 9 am to 5.30 pm).
When you arrive in-store, you will need:
- Photo ID – either a passport or full driving licence.
- Proof of your address – a paper utility bill or bank statement from the last three months.
- A deposit plus your first four week’s rent in advance. If you’re paying by direct debit, the deposit is two week’s rent. However, if you pay by credit or debit card, the deposit will be for four week’s rent. Unfortunately, we can no longer accept cash in store.
- Your bank details and a credit or debit card if you’re setting up a direct debit.
- A padlock to lock your storage unit. We sell a range of secure padlocks in store and online if you don’t have your own.
- Insurance details. We can provide you with our own afordable insurance cover in store, however if you are planning to use your own cover, you will need a letter from your insurance provider.
What is self storage?
Self storage is a do-it-yourself storage solution. It’s your own tailored space away from your home or business that can be used to keep your personal belongings safe. Costs are kept to a minimum by allowing customers to move their things in and out of their unit at their own convenience.
Self storage has grown in popularity because:
- It’s a useful solution to short-term and long-term storage needs
- There are no long-term commitments – you can store for as long as you need to
- You have the added assurance that your belongings are protected from potential damage and theft
- It’s easy to change the size you need, according to how much you need to store
- It’s a great option for businesses needing somewhere to store stock or a place to operate from without the associated costs
Is it safe and secure?
Security is our top priority at Ready Steady Store. Our extensive security features have been designed by industry experts and are all above the expected levels set by the UK Self Storage Association.
Each of our stores has high perimeter fencing and unique PIN access electronic gates so only our customers can access our car park outside office hours.
CCTV cameras watch entrances and exits across our premises 24 hours a day. these are monitored by our store staff during office hours and by our surveillance partner outside office hours.
We also have PIN code access doors so only our staff and customers can enter the building. The PIN code system also means that we have a record of everyone who enters and exits the buildings.
Our staff don’t have access to you unit whilst you store with us, as you lock the unit using your own padlock and you keep the key.
For additional peace of mind, in some of our stores we can also offer individually alarmed units, which are activated when you leave the building.
How long can I store? Is there a minimum stay?
Our minimum stay is only two weeks. You can store for shorter than this but you’ll still need to pay for the two weeks.
There’s no limit on how long you can store for. If you’re planning to store for a long amount of time, get in touch and we’ll make sure you’re quoted the best price and solution for your stay!
How do I transport my things?
We have great offers on van hire or van and man services through one of our trusted partners. From time to time, prices offered at an Enterpise store maybe lower than our offer price! Simply get in touch with your local store team or call our Customer Service team for more information on 0800 321 3211 who will be delighted to help.
Do I need insurance?
The safety and security of your possessions is important to us, and you can’t store without contents insurance. Unlike our competitors, we have two options for insuring your contents when storing with us:
- Using insurance through Ready Steady Store
We arrange a new for old insurance policy, specifically created for self-storage and approved by the Self Storage Association. The cost of cover depends on the value of your things.
- Using an existing policy
You may already be covered through your home contents insurance, as some providers cover goods whilst in storage. You’ll need to make sure that your insurance provides the same cover as ours and we will require a letter from your insurance provide when setting up your contract.
For more information please visit our insurance page.
How do I pay?
You can pay with the following methods:
- Direct debit*
*If you choose to pay by Direct Debit, we require a deposit for two week’s rental. If you choose to pay via another method, we will require a deposit of four week’s rental.
Is there anything I can’t store?
There are only a few things you can’t store with us:
- Food or perishable goods, unless securely packed or protected
- Birds, fish, animals or any other living creatures
- Combustible or flammable materials or liquids such as: gas, paint, petrol, oil or cleaning solvents
- Firearms, explosives, weapons or ammunition
- Chemicals, radioactive materials or biological agents
- Toxic waste, asbestos or other materials of a potentially dangerous nature
- Any item which emits any fumes, smell or odour
- Any illegal substances, illegal items or goods illegally obtained, including counterfeit goods, illicit (smuggled/counterfeit) tobacco, illicit alcohol, unlicensed medicines, unsafe goods (including toys, electrical items, cosmetics, fireworks)
- Compressed gases
What if I want to vacate my storage unit
You’ll need to give us 14 days notice before you wish to vacate your unit. If you are a business customer you will need to give us 28 days notice.