Household and personal storage
Whatever the circumstance, moving house, expanding your family, redecorating, travelling, creating a home office or simply decluttering to make more space at home, we have storage units in a range of sizes to best suit your personal storage needs.
There are lots of items you can store with us, including furniture, clothing, and ornaments and decorative pieces. To find out more about what you can and can’t store with us, take a look at our FAQs. This means that, no matter how long you need to use our storage units, you can rely on the personal storage solutions from Ready Steady Store.
Why choose Ready Steady Store for personal storage?
As well as offering secure personal storage, you can expect a whole range of other benefits when you choose us:
- Short and long term storage
- More than 40 different sizes of storage units
- Flexibility – you can change your unit size to accommodate your belongings (there will be an additional charge if you need a bigger unit than the one you’ve booked)
- Local (we’ve got branches throughout the UK)
- 24 hour access available
- Unique PIN code entry
- Individually alarmed units (available at some of our stores)
- Contact-free moving when you move in (to help maintain social distancing, you can rent and move into your unit without seeing anyone – simply give us a call or arrange online)
- Free WiFi
- 24 hour CCTV
Boxes, bubble wrap and other packing materials are available, should you need them
New customer? Get 50% off for up to 12 weeks!
Our personal storage units
We know everyone’s storage needs are different, which is why our personal storage units come in a range of sizes. That way, whether you’re renovating your home and need somewhere to store all your worldly possessions, or clearing the clutter in your garage, with Ready Steady Store, you’ll find the right size storage solution for your needs.
We have more than 40 different sizes of personal storage units, ranging from the size of a locker to triple garage (and bigger, if you need it). And because we have so many different sizes, you’ll only pay for the space you need. Contact your local store to find out what size units are available.
Whatever size you need, each unit is measured in square feet and each is at least 8ft high (with the exception of our 9sq ft lockers), so you can get a feel for just how much space you need. Not sure how much space you need? Use our size estimator or give our storage experts a call for free on 0800 321 3211 and they’ll be happy to help you.
Short term and long term personal storage
You can store for as little or as long as you like – whether you need to store your personal belongings for a few days* while you move house or for a few months while you’re away travelling, it’s no problem.
Short term personal storage can be a great solution when you’re:
- Moving house and you need somewhere to store your bits and pieces between leaving your old home and moving to your new one
- Renovating your home and looking for furniture storage to keep your sofas, tables, chairs and beds dust-free
- Redecorating and need somewhere to keep everything safe from paint splatters
- Downsizing and looking to declutter before putting your house on the market
- A student and want to keep your belongings safe in your university town after the end of the university year
Long term personal storage is the ideal solution if you’re:
- Travelling or moving abroad and need somewhere to keep your belongings while you’re away
- Renting out your home and want to keep some of your furniture safe and secure
- Renting somewhere after selling your home
- Clearing out the home of someone who’s passed away and want to keep some of their belongings
- Planning or building your own ‘grand design’ and won’t be able to live in the house while the work is being done
- Just after more space!
* Our minimum agreement length is from as little as four weeks in many of our stores – check locally for store minimum stay periods.
How much does personal storage cost?
Personal storage costs vary depending on the size of the unit you need and how long you need it. Each store also has its own pricing too.
For example, on average, a 50sq ft unit – big enough to store the contents of a one-bed flat – will cost:
- £9.25 per week* up to 12 weeks in our northern stores
- £9.50 per week* up to 12 weeks in our midlands stores
- £14.25 per week* up to 12 weeks in our southern stores
*This price shows the 50% discount for the first 12 weeks
New customers get 50% off for up to 12 weeks – a great offer if you’re looking for short term personal storage. And our offers aren’t just limited to short term storage: we also have discounts available for long term personal storage too. But whatever you need to store, and whether you’re a new or returning customer, it’s important that you choose the right-sized unit, otherwise you’ll pay for space that you just don’t need.
Don’t worry though – if you do find you need more (or less) space, it’s easy to upsize or downsize, and you can simply move to a new unit. Just contact your store to arrange it. Want to find out more about how much personal storage costs? Read our blog.
Personal storage insurance
Insurance is mandatory for storing your belongings, which is why you can’t store with RSS without contents insurance. It’s your responsibility to make sure your belongings are insured while they’re in storage, so you have the option to:
- Take out personal storage insurance through Ready Steady Store
- Use your own home contents insurance (providing it covers your goods being in storage and meets our requirements – speak to our team to find out more. Give them a call on 0800 321 3211)
You can find out more about our insurance policy requirements on our website.
Our insurance includes:
- A new-for-old insurance policy that’s specially created for self storage and covers a broad range of incidents that may not be covered under your normal household policy
- Insurance approved by the Self Storage Association
Of course, the cost of the insurance depends on the value of your belongings. If you choose to go with your existing contents insurance, before setting up your personal storage agreement you’ll need to:
- Bring a letter from your insurance provider that confirms your policy details and clearly states that it matches our policy
- Check with us to make sure your home policy will be accepted. Give our team a call on 0800 321 3211 to discuss it
Read more about personal storage insurance and what it involves.
Personal storage FAQs
Have a question about personal storage? Take a look at our FAQs. If you can’t find the answer you’re looking for, get in touch with our personal storage experts on 0800 321 3211 and they’ll be happy to help you.
What size storage unit do I need?
We have more than 40 different-sized storage units available, and they’re all at least 8ft high (excluding our 9sq ft lockers), so no matter what you need to store, we have a unit big enough for your personal belongings. (Top tip – if you stack your things or turn furniture on its side, you may need less space than you think.)
Not sure what size storage unit you need? Don’t worry – we can help. Give our customer service team a call on 0800 321 3211 and let them know what sort of stuff you’ll be storing, and they’ll be able to give you an idea of the size you’ll need.
Plus, if you find that you need a bigger or smaller personal storage unit, you can upsize or downsize thanks to our flexible options (though there will be an additional charge if you need a bigger unit than the one you originally booked).
How much does it cost to rent a storage unit?
It can be as little as 60p per day to rent a storage unit, (though our minimum storage agreement is four weeks). The smaller the unit, the less it costs to rent, so our locker-sized units are cheaper than our double garage-sized units. You can get a free quote online to find out just how much your personal storage unit will cost.
How safe are my belongings when I store them with you?
We take security very seriously at Ready Steady Store. That’s why our extensive security features have all been designed by leading industry experts to exceed the levels set by the UK Self Storage Association. You’ll find the following at most of our stores:
- High perimeter fencing
- Unique PIN access to the electronic gates and the building (so only customers can access our stores outside office hours)
- CCTV cameras monitoring activity inside the buildings, as well as entrances and exits, 24 hours a day (during office hours, the cameras are overseen by our staff; outside office hours, our surveillance partner takes over)
- Padlock access. You lock the unit with your padlock and keep the key, so no one else can access your unit, giving you total peace of mind
We also have a host of general building security too, which includes PIN code access doors. That means only our staff and customers can enter our buildings. It also means we have a record of everyone who enters and leaves our premises. And only you have access to your belongings. For additional peace of mind, some of our stores also offer individually alarmed units, which you activate when you leave the building, and all of our buildings are fitted with smoke and fire detection equipment.
How long is the minimum agreement?
Four weeks. It’s possible to store for a shorter time, but our minimum price is four weeks’ storage. There’s no limit on how long you can store for, but if you’re looking at long term personal storage, get in touch and we’ll make sure you’re quoted the best price.
Are packing materials available?
Yes – you can buy boxes, tape and bubble wrap online or from reception during opening hours. So whether you’re looking for cardboard boxes, packing tape or padlocks, we’ve got you covered.
Can I hire a van to help me move?
Yes! We actually have an exclusive van hire deal with Enterprise Van Hire, which includes:
- Van hire for £49 per day
- A free pick-up service, where Enterprise will pick you up from home and take you to collect your van at your nearest Enterprise location
- An Enterprise Transit-size van
- A full 24-hour hire period, meaning you have total flexibility
Interested? Contact your local store or our customer service team to find out more. Terms and conditions apply.
Do you offer insurance for my belongings?
Yes. We want to make sure your belongings are safe and secure when they’re stored with us, so you can’t store without insurance. You can set up an insurance policy with us if you don’t already have one in place (as insurance is mandatory). Our new-for-old policy has been specially created for personal storage and is fully approved by the Self Storage Association. Plus, it’s easy to set up.
As with any insurance policy, the price you pay depends on the value of your items. You can find out more on our insurance page.
What does this insurance cover?
Our insurance covers you for issues caused by:
- Fire, lightning, explosion, earthquake, aircraft or articles dropped there from
- Storm, flood, bursting and/or leaking pipes, ingress of water or other liquid substance
- Moths, insects or vermin from an external cause
- Theft accompanied by forcible and violent entry to or exit from the building or storage unit
- Riot, strike, civil commotion, malicious damage
- Impact by vehicles or railway rolling stock
You can find the full details on our insurance page. Alternatively, read a summary of Ready Steady Store Insurance Cover.
How often can I access my storage?
We offer 24 hour access to our stores,* so your belongings are there when you need them. Use your unique PIN code to come and go as you please, and use your key to unlock your padlock and access your personal storage unit (only you have access to your padlock).
Don’t be constrained by time: personal storage from Ready Steady Store is ready when you are. Find out more on our 24 access page.
*With the exception of our Leeds Ring Road store.
Is free parking available while I visit my storage?
Yes! As a customer, you can make the most of our free parking, meaning you can pack or unload your goods with ease.