Find Closest Store
Using self storage for your furniture is an ideal solution in the following circumstances:
- When you’re moving home, and there’s a gap between leaving your old property and moving to the new one
- If you are decorating or renovating your home and want to protect your furniture from dust/paint splatters
- Storing extra furniture after you’ve downsized your home
- Decluttering to make extra room at home
- If you’re travelling/moving abroad and need to store your furniture while you rent out your home
Why choose Ready Steady Store for furniture storage?
You can’t do much about the housing market, the cost of stamp duty, your location but how your home looks for sale or rental is totally in your control. Being able to store your furniture can help make sure you secure your sale.
Our furniture storage services allow you flexibility so that you can move out on time and preserve the chain. You may wish to store some furniture while you move or, if you are planning some renovation in the new home as soon as you move in.
Most people looking to buy a new home are looking for more space, typically they have outgrown the space they have. A simple declutter can help maximise the space you have, and start the process of getting ready to move – consider furniture storage for those pieces that you don’t need every day to make space in your home. Store the extra stuff you and the family have accumulated over the years.
Furniture storage costs are quite reasonable, especially in the context of selling your house. The longer it takes to sell the more you are spending to stay there, and maintain it – you are also likely to end up reducing the price, so de-cluttering and putting your furniture in storage can be very cost-effective.
Our Furniture Storage Units
Ready Steady Store have furniture storage units in sizes from 20 sq ft, to 1500 sq ft. All our larger units have double doors making it easy to get large pieces of furniture in.
Make sure you only pay for the space you need by packing the unit carefully and making the most of the height of the furniture storage unit, (at least 8ft). Put large items, like sofas on their sides, stack items like cupboards and tables, and dismantle furniture large items like beds. This will help you to get the most in the smallest unit, so that your furniture storage costs are minimised.
Short Term and Long Term Furniture Storage
With Ready Steady Store you can store as for as long or as little as you like. So if you need to store your furniture between rentals, or while you are having some decorating done it’s no problem. If on the other hand, you want to store for a few years you can be confident that your goods will be safe and secure with us.
Short term furniture storage can be a great solution;
• When you’re moving home, and there’s a gap between leaving your old property and moving to the new one
• If you are decorating or renovating your home and want to protect your furniture from dust/paint splatters
• Storing extra furniture after you’ve downsized your home
• Decluttering to make your home seem more spacious when you are selling.
Furniture storage is useful in the long term:
• If you’re travelling/moving abroad and need to store your furniture while you rent out your home
• If you are renting out your home and want to store some of your furniture so it is safe and secure.
• If you have sold your home and are renting in the meantime
• If someone has died and you need to empty their home and want to keep some of the belongings.
• You are planning a “grand design” and will not be able to live in the house while the work is being done
Furniture Storage Costs
Storage costs are based on the size of the unit you need and the length of time you are going to stay. The costs vary from store to store too. To get the best value, make sure you get the right size unit, if you get one that is too big, you will be paying for space you are not using.
You can upsize and downsize your unit free of charge– so if you sell a piece of furniture, or buy one you can move to a new unit, simply contacting your store.
We have opening offers at most stores for our new customers, these are typically half price for the first 8 to 12 weeks. These offers are great value for people looking for short term furniture storage. If you are looking for long term furniture storage, discounts are available for long stays.
The cost for a 50sq unit, which is big enough to store the contents of a one bed flat, will cost you £10.75* per week for the first 12 weeks at our Bournemouth store, and a 100st ft unit, which you can store the contents of a two bedroom house for £17.75* per week for the first 8 weeks at our Leeds Roseville Rd Store* – prices correct October 19 – please speak to our customer service team on 0800 321 3211.
Click here to get an Instant Online Price
*prices correct 22/10/19, prices change subject to availability.
Insurance for furniture in storage
The safety and security of your possessions is important to us, and you can’t store without contents insurance. That’s why we do everything we can to make sure your things are safe and secure when you store with us.
We can offer Insurance for furniture in storage through the Ready Steady Store policy:
- We are happy to arrange a new for old insurance policy, which is specifically created for self storage and covers a wider range of potential incidents than are covered under normal household insurance policies.
- The insurance we provide is approved by the Self Storage Association.
The cost of cover depends on the value of your things, so get in touch for more information on pricing.
Click here to see What’s covered by our Insurance
If you prefer, you can use your home contents insurance if it covers your goods whilst in storage:
- You’ll need to bring a confirmation letter from your insurance provider when setting up your contract.
- Read through the Insurance Policy Requirements to make sure you’re covered.
- Please click here to read about using your home contents policy while goods are in storage.
It is your responsibility to ensure that your furniture and goods in storage are insured. To learn more about insurance for furniture storage please click here
Furniture removal and storage
We have some great furniture storage services to help make storing with us easier.
These include two options for helping with removal and getting your goods to store:
We have a partnership with Enterprise Van Hire;
If you don’t have your own transport, we have teamed up with Enterprise to offer their vans at preferential prices to help our customers move into their furniture storage units.
The Ready Steady Store preferential rate for a transit van from Enterprise Van Hire is £38* per 24 hours, and we often have further promotional offers too!
Contact our Customer Services Team for full details or click here Enterprise Van Hire
If you need help with loading and unloading your furniture and goods, we also have links with van and man companies at each of our stores. Once you’ve got a storage unit to suit your needs we can put you in touch with local van and man companies to help you with getting your things to the store on your move in day.
- Prices are dependent on the company you choose to go with
- How much you need to move and how long it will take will also be a factor in the price
Furniture storage FAQs
How much space will I need for my furniture storage?
It depends on how much you need to store. For example, if you’re starting a renovation or moving house and need to store all the contents of your home, you’ll need a bigger furniture storage unit than if you’re decorating one room.
Our furniture storage units come in 40 different sizes, ranging from 20sq ft to 1500sq ft, and all of our larger units have double doors, making it easy to fit larger items. As well as that, each unit (excluding our 9sq ft lockers) is at least 8ft high. Depending on how you store your furniture (i.e. stacking items on their sides), you may need less space than you think.
Plus, you can switch to a bigger or smaller unit if and when you need to.
What’s the best way to store my furniture?
Firstly, make sure it’s clean and free from damp, mould, mud, dust or debris (including any food crumbs), and that it’s dry. You should also treat any infestations like woodworm, as this will spread throughout your other furniture while it’s in storage.
Next, take larger items like bookcases, desks, chairs, wardrobes and beds apart (if you can). This will make them easier to transport and use the space in your furniture storage unit more effectively. Remember to keep screws in a plastic bag and attach it to the relevant item of furniture too!
Wrap any delicate items, like mirrors or ornaments, in bubble wrap, and cover as much of your furniture in dust sheets (not plastic sheets) to protect it from dust. We can provide packing materials, should you need them.
Make sure your furniture is stored off the ground. This helps protect it. You could put something as simple as a plastic sheet or tarpaulin down inside the unit first, or store your furniture on pallets.
Finally, store your larger items (like sofas and mattresses) and delicate items (like mirrors or pictures) vertically. This not only saves space, but it can also protect more delicate items from becoming damaged.
Can I hire a van to help me move?
Yes! In fact, we have an exclusive deal with Enterprise Van Hire, which includes:
- A full 24-hour hire period, giving you have total flexibility
- Van hire for £19 per day
- An Enterprise Transit-size van
- A free service where Enterprise will pick you up from home and take you to collect your van at your nearest Enterprise location*
*This service is unavailable during the COVID-19 pandemic
You can also hire a van through our exclusive deal with Hertz 24/7: you can pick up one of their vans from outside our stores by downloading their app. Payment is by the hour and only available at our Roseville Road and Worsley store, as well as Tring Road, Northampton, and Eastleigh.
How much does furniture storage cost?
Our furniture storage units cost as little as 60p per day and are priced according to size (though our minimum storage agreement is two weeks). That means that our smaller, locker-sized units will cost less than our larger, double garage-sized units.
Find out how much your storage solution will cost: get a free quote online.
How safe are my belongings when I store them with you?
Security is our top priority at Ready Steady Store, so all of our stores have security features that have been designed by leading industry experts and meet or exceed the levels set by the UK Self Storage Association. This includes the following (which can be found at most of our stores):
- Buildings and electronic gates accessed by unique PIN codes (so only customers can access our stores outside office hours)
- high perimeter fencing
- 24 hour CCTV monitoring activity inside our buildings, as well as entrances and exits (the cameras are overseen by our staff during office hours; our surveillance partner takes over outside these times)
- units that can only be accessed by you. Each unit is locked by a padlock, which belongs to you, that can only be opened by the corresponding key. This means only you have access to your belongings
And because our buildings can only be accessed by PIN code, only customers and staff can enter, and we have a full record of who is on the premises at any time. When it comes to your belongings, only you have access.
We also offer individually alarmed units in some of our stores. You activate these when you leave the building, so you get extra peace of mind too. Plus, all of our buildings are fitted with smoke and fire detection equipment.
Do I get reduced rates for bulk storage or a longer agreement?
If you’re storing long term, get in touch as we can offer discounts for longer agreements.
How long is the minimum agreement?
You can store from a little as two weeks. It’s possible to store for a shorter period, but our minimum price is two weeks.
Need to store for longer? There’s no limit on how long you can store for, but if you think you’ll need a unit for a significant amount of time, get in touch and we’ll help you find the right price.
Are packing materials available?
Yes – you can buy tape, bubble wrap and boxes on our website or from reception (during opening hours).
Whether you need cardboard boxes, packing tape or padlocks, we’ve got you covered.
Do you offer insurance for my belongings?
Yes. You need insurance to store your belongings with us, so if you don’t already have an insurance policy, you can set one up with us (insurance is mandatory, so you can’t store without having a policy set up).
It’s easy to do, and our new-for-old policy is specially created for personal storage. It’s also fully approved by the Self Storage Association, so you can rest assured that your possessions are safe and secure with us.
As with any insurance policy, the cost of your cover depends on the value of your things. Find out more on our insurance page.
What does this insurance cover?
Our insurance covers you for issues caused by:
- Fire, lightning, explosion, earthquake, aircraft or articles dropped there from
- Storm, flood, bursting and/or leaking pipes, ingress of water or other liquid substance
- Moths, insects or vermin from an external cause
- Theft accompanied by forcible and violent entry to or exit from the building or storage unit
- Riot, strike, civil commotion, malicious damage
- Impact by vehicles or railway rolling stock
How often can I access my storage?
We offer 24 hour access*, so you can easily access your belongings at a time that suits you.
*Unless you’re storing in our Beeston or Shoreham stores.
You’ll need your PIN code to enter the gates and building, and your key to access your storage unit. Your key unlocks your padlock that secures your unit, and you’re the only person who has access to it.
Find more information on our 24 access page.
Is free parking available while I visit my storage?
Yes. All our customers are entitled to use our free parking, so you can easily pack or unload your items.
See how it works
We also provide: