Find Closest Store
Our student storage gives you somewhere safe and secure to store your belongings between university terms.
Whether you’re moving out of halls and need somewhere to keep your stuff before you get the keys for your new accommodation, want a place to store your belongings over summer, or find your room isn’t big enough to house all your possessions, Ready Steady Store can help.
You can store things like furniture, clothing and books in our stores, so take a look at our FAQs page to find out what you can and can’t store with us.
Why choose Ready Steady Store for student storage?
You don’t just get great student storage when you store your personal belongings with us; you can expect a whole host of other benefits too:
- Flexibility – you can change your unit size to accommodate your belongings (you will need to pay more if you find you need a bigger unit than the one you originally booked)
- Local (we’ve got branches throughout the UK)
- Free WiFi
- 24 hour CCTV
- Short and long term storage
- Unique PIN code entry
- Contact-free moving when you move in to help you maintain social distancing (get in touch online or give us a call to arrange)
- Individually alarmed units (available at some of our stores)
- 24 hour access available
- More than 40 different sizes of storage unit, including lockers (so you can find the right-sized unit for your needs)
- Boxes, bubble wrap and other packing materials available, should you need them
Plus, all new customers get 50% off for up to 12 weeks – perfect if you’re just looking to keep your stuff safe over summer!
Our student storage units
Need somewhere to keep the books you won’t need this semester, or need space big enough to store your whole room while you’re between accommodation? Ready Steady Store has the student storage solution for you.
Our student storage units are available in more than 40 different sizes, ranging from locker to triple garage (if you need it!). Each is measured in square feet and is at least 8ft high (with the exception of our 9sq ft lockers), so no matter what you need to store – or how long you need to store it – there’s plenty of room.
Plus, you can upsize or downsize the unit you book, so don’t worry if you’ve over or underestimated. Contact your local store to find out what size units are available.
Short term and long term student storage
No matter how long you need to use student storage – whether you’re looking for a place for a few weeks while you move or you’re heading off on a gap year – it’s no problem.
Bear in mind though, that while we can provide storage for as little as a few days, our minimum agreement is two weeks, so you’ll need to pay for at least two weeks’ storage, even if you only need the unit for a few days.
You can be sure that your items will be safe and secure with Ready Steady Store.
Short term student storage is perfect for when you’re:
- Moving house or accommodation and want to store your stuff in your university town over the summer break
- Looking for furniture storage for items that won’t fit into your new room
- Decluttering before moving so you have less to take with you
- Redecorating your room back home and need somewhere to keep your belongings until you’re finished
Long term student storage is a great solution if you’re:
- Travelling abroad – whether for fun or as part of your studies – and need somewhere safe to store your belongings while you’re away
- Looking for student storage for items that won’t fit into your university accommodation while you’re studying
- After an overflow storage space for your books, suitcases or other bulky items that you don’t need everyday
And the best bit? We have stores all over the country, so we’re never far away when you need us. Just take a look at our locations to find out how close we are to your university.
How much does student storage cost?
We know that student finances are tight, which is why you only pay for the size of unit you need and how long you need it.
Each store has its own pricing structure too, so you’ll pay a bit more or a bit less for student storage depending on where you are in the country.
For example, on average, a small locker or unit will cost:
- £4 per week* for up to the first 12 weeks in our northern stores
- £5 per week* for up to the first 12 weeks in our midlands stores
- £6 per week* for up to the first 12 weeks in our southern stores
*This price shows the 50% discounted rate for the first 12 weeks
New customers get 50% off for up to 12 weeks – perfect if you just need storage for the summer. And if you need long term student storage? We have discounts available for you too.
And student storage is flexible – if you find your storage unit is too big or too small for your belongings, you can downsize or upsize easily (though you will need to pay more if you need a bigger unit than the one you originally booked). Just get in touch with your store.
You can find more price guidance on our blog.
Student storage insurance
It’s really important that you have insurance before you store your items. Why? Because it’s mandatory, meaning you won’t be able to store without it. It’s up to you to make sure your belongings are insured while they’re in storage.
You have the option to:
- take out student storage insurance through Ready Steady Store –
- use your own contents insurance (just make sure you’re covered if your belongings are in storage and your policy meets our requirements. Give our team a call on 0800 321 3211 to find out more)
You can find out more about our insurance policy requirements on our website.
Our insurance includes:
- A new-for-old insurance policy specially made for student storage. It covers incidents and issues that may not be fully covered under your normal insurance policy
- Insurance that’s fully approved by the Self Storage Association
Bear in mind that the cost of the insurance varies depending on the value of your belongings. If you decide to go with your existing home insurance when you set up your student storage agreement:
Make sure you:
- Bring a letter that confirms your policy details and clearly states that your policy matches our policy
- Check with us to make sure your policy will be accepted. Call our team on 0800 321 3211 to discuss it
Find out more about student storage insurance.
Student storage FAQs
Want to know more about student storage? Have a look at our FAQs. Alternatively, get in touch with our student storage experts and they’ll be more than happy to help you. You can call them for free on 0800 321 3211.
What size storage unit do I need?
Everyone’s storage needs are different, which is why we offer 40 sizes of units that are all 8ft high (with the exception of our 9sq ft lockers). So no matter what you need to store, we have a unit to suit. (You only pay for the size of unit you need, so here’s a top tip: if you stack your belongings or store your furniture on its side, you might need less space than you think!)
And because our student storage options are really flexible, you can easily upsize or downsize the unit you need (though you will have to pay more for a bigger unit).
How much does it cost to rent a storage unit?
Our student storage units cost from as little as 60p per day (though our minimum storage agreement is two weeks), but this depends on the size you need; our smaller units are cheaper than our bigger units.
Find out how little your storage unit will cost: get a free quote online.
Do you offer student discount?
No, but we do offer new customers 50% off for up to 12 weeks.
Plus, you only pay for the size of unit you need, and can upsize or downsize as necessary at no extra cost, which can be a big saving.
Are packing materials available?
Yes – you can buy all the boxes, tape and bubble wrap you need from us either online or from reception during opening hours.
So whether you’re looking for cardboard boxes, packing tape or padlocks, we’ve got you covered.
How safe are my belongings when I store them with you?
Security is a big priority for us, which is why our security features are designed and installed by leading industry experts and exceed the expectations set by the UK Self Storage Association. They include the following at most of our stores:
- buildings and electronic gates that can only be accessed by PIN code (that means only customers can access our stores outside office hours)
- 24 hour CCTV cameras watching entrances and exits, as well as inside the building, that are monitored by our staff during office hours, and our surveillance partner after hours
- high perimeter fencing
- key and padlock access to your unit. The padlock secures your unit, and you’re the only person with the key to the padlock, so your belongings are safe and secure
As well as this, our buildings can only be accessed by PIN code, so the only people who can come and go are customers and staff, and we have a record of who enters and exits the building. Plus, only you can access your belongings.
All of our buildings are fitted with fire and smoke detectors, and in some stores, you can rent individually alarmed units that you activate when you leave the building.
Do I get reduced rates for a longer agreement?
How long is the minimum agreement?
You can store for as little as two weeks (actually, you can store for less than that, but you’ll need to pay the minimum agreement amount, which is two weeks’ storage).
Need to store for longer? No problem – there’s no limit on long term storage, but make sure you get in touch to talk about your needs so we can give you the best price for your stay.
Can I hire a van to help me move?
You can only hire a van if you’re over the age of 25. If that applies to you, we have two exclusive van hire deals with Enterprise Van Hire and Hertz 24/7.
If you choose the Enterprise offer, you get:
- A Transit-size van
- Hire for £19 per day
- A full 24-hour hire period, meaning you can move your belongings as and when you need to
- A free pick-up service, where Enterprise will collect you from home or your student house and drop you off at your nearest Enterprise location* to pick up your van
* This service is unavailable during the COVID-19 pandemic
To take advantage of the Hertz 24/7 offer, you need to download their app and pick up a van from one of our stores. The offer is flexible too as you only pay by the hour, and is only available at our Roseville Rd and Worsley stores, as well as Northampton, Eastleigh, and Tring Road.
Do you offer insurance for my belongings?
You’re unable to store with us if you don’t have insurance, as insurance is mandatory for using our services. But you don’t need to worry – you can easily take out an insurance policy with us. It’s a new-for-old policy that’s specially designed for student storage, and is fully approved by the Self Storage Association.
As with all insurance policies, the price you pay depends on the value of your items. You can find more details on our insurance page.
What does this insurance cover?
Our insurance covers you for issues caused by:
- Fire, lightning, explosion, earthquake, aircraft or articles dropped there from
- Storm, flood, bursting and/or leaking pipes, ingress of water or other liquid substance
- Moths, insects or vermin from an external cause
- Theft accompanied by forcible and violent entry to or exit from the building or storage unit
- Riot, strike, civil commotion, malicious damage
- Impact by vehicles or railway rolling stock
How often can I access my storage?
All of our stores offer 24 hour access*, so you can access your belongings at a time that suits you.
*Except our Leeds Ring Road and Shoreham stores.
To access your items, all you need is your unique PIN code to get into the gates and building, and the key to your padlock that secures your storage unit. This padlock is only accessible by you. You can find out more on our 24 access page.
Is free parking available while I visit my storage?
Yes. Because you’re a customer, you can make the most of our free parking, meaning you can pack or unload your belongings easily.
See how it works
We also provide: